How to Pick the Perfect Dog with Laura Nativo
Dog Type #1- Small Dogs
Breeds: Pomeranian, Chihuahua, Shih Tzu
- Great for people who travel a lot because they can go on the plane.
- Great for apartments.
- Easily trained.
Dog Type #2 - Hypoallergenic
Breeds: Poodles, Havanese, Maltese, Schnauzers, Portuguese Water Dogs. (Like the President’s dog, Bo)
- No dog is 100% hypoallergenic but these dogs have less dander so they are great for allergy sufferers.
- Be wary of mixed breeds like Golden doodles that are advertised as hypoallergenic when they are really not.
Dog Type #3 - Senior Dog
- It's heartbreaking, but people abandon senior dogs.
- Older dogs are usually house trained, more settled, and have more predictable temperaments.
- Great option for seniors or anyone who craves lots of love and calm, quiet, company.
Dog Type #4 - Good With Kids
Breeds: Golden Retrievers, Labradors, Beagles, Poodles, Boston Terrier, Bulldog, Collie, Cocker Spaniel, Leonberger, Newfoundland, Saint Bernard, Portuguese Water Dog.
- Used often for service dogs.
- Intelligent, sweet, predictable demeanor, patient, affectionate, easily motivated.
- If you have kids avoid small, brittle dogs that are fragile.
Return to episode guide >>
Dog Type #5- Puppy
- Puppies require time, energy and people with a flexible schedule to meet their needs.
- Puppies are like sponges and need 24/7 care. You shape a puppy’s personality with love, training, and socialization.