How to Avoid Packing on the Pounds for the Holidays, with Amy Hendel
1. Never arrive hungry. Have broth, a cup of tea, or small nutritious snack beforehand.
2. Walk the buffet first without choosing anything - get the "Lay of the Land."
3. Use a teaspoon instead of a serving spoon to add gravy, dips and sauces to your plate.
4. Take an appetizer sized plate, or if you are the party planner, use disposable bento boxes (the compartments keep portion control easy).
5. Create a “green salad base” on the plate first, then top with spoonful each of some choices.
6. If a choice looks creamy or oily, it’s caloric – use a smaller spoon to take some.
7. Eat cheese in dice size portions.
8. Keep toothpicks from canapé/appetizers to track how many you’ve had.
9. Drink a glass of water or club soda between drinks.
10. Use an appetizer fork even for your main entrée.
11. Look for fresh fruit, fresh vegetables and grilled or cooked shrimp if there is a "round 2."
12. Take “tastes of dessert” – do not eat it all.
13. Always offer to bring one dish so you know there is a healthy, low cal dish you can depend on.
14. Talk to slow the pace of eating.
15. Move far away from the buffet once you fill your plate.
16. Chew sugar-free gum once you are done.
17. Commit to exercise the day of and the day after every special meal or party.
Return to episode guide >>