Do It Yourself Plumbing Solutions, with Eric Stromer
How to retrieve jewelry from the drain:
Tools you’ll need: a pair of channel locks and an empty bucket,
1. Turn off the water supply.
2. Put the bucket/pan/can under the p-trap.
3. Use the channel locks to loosen the two ring nuts holding the trap onto the pipes.
4. Then just wiggle the p-trap off the pipes and pour out whatever’s inside into the bucket.
5. With any luck, your ring/earring/house key will be there. It’ll likely be REALLY dirty, but there.
6. Once you have your ring/earring/house key, put the p-trap back in place the same way you took it off, only backwards. Once you have everything screwed on tight, run the water to check for leaks. If anything’s leaking just tighten the ring nuts a little tighter, and if it doesn’t leak, your work here is done.
How to fix your garbage disposal:
Tools you'll need: Allen wrench that fits your garbage disposal, broom
1. Turn off power to the garbage disposal at the electrical service panel.
2. Don't ever put your hand down into the garbage disposal.
3. Take the allen wrench that came with the disposal unit and insert the wrench into the flywheel turning hole in the bottom of the unit. If you don't have the wrench you can pick one up from the hardware store that sells your garbage disposal.
4. Once the wrench is inserted, turn it clockwise to dislodge the flywheel.
5. When it dislodges, you'll feel the flywheel turn freely.
6. Another approach is to try and use a wooden broom-handle or similar wooden object to free the stuck impeller and flywheel from the top of the unit through the drain.
7. Place the broom-handle into the hopper and against an impeller. Use leverage to try and free the stuck flywheel. As before, when it dislodges you'll feel the flywheel turn freely.
How to unclog a drain:
Tools you'll need: a snake, a screwdriver (if needed for drain)
1. Rent a snake from any big box hardware store
2. Use screwdriver to unscrew the drain grate from the drain
3. Insert snake into drain and let it run until it catches the clogged hair and particles on its end.
4. Pull the snake out and repeat process until the clog is fully removed.
5. Replace drain grate.
Return to episode guide >>