Cristina's Watermelon Football Helmet
• Paring Knife and Chef’s Knife
• Dry Erase Marker
1. Using a round watermelon, slice off a piece approximately 4 inches down on the stem end. Set cut piece aside to use later for mouth guard.
2. Use your dry erase marker to make a curved cut from one side of the melon to the other to cut out the face portion of the helmet. Use your scoop to hollow out the entire melon.
3. Take the piece that was set aside in step #1 and place cut side down. Place knife at the center of stem end and cut in half.
4. Take one half of cut piece and draw mouth guard grid with a dry erase marker. Remove flesh and using a small knife, cut out grid design.
5. To assemble, place mouth piece on a plate. You might have to cute the bottom of the mouth piece so it sits evenly. Place the helmet piece on top, pushing the mouthpiece ends towards the inside of the helmet. Use toothpicks to keep in place. You may need to carve a little out of the helmet ends to fit the mouth grid comfortably.
6. Fill with fruit salad.
Get more tips and recipes from Cristina at: www.cristinaferrarecooks.com.
Return to episode guide >>