Denise Vivaldo's Three-Chili Chili Recipe
Makes 6 servings
This recipe can be make with beef or made leaner with ground turkey and chicken broth in place of the beef, or, for a vegetarian chili, use a meat substitue (like seitan, tempeh, or soy protein) and vegetable broth. Use canola oil in place of the bacon.
3 tablespoons bacon drippings or canola oil
1 large yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 ¼ pound lean ground beef
1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
¼ cup tomato paste
1 cup low sodium beef broth, more or less as necessary
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons ancho chili powder
1 ½ teaspoon ground cumin, ground
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper, more or less to taste
2 (15 ounce) cans red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
Salt and pepper, to taste
6 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
1 ripe avocado, peeled, seeded and chopped
⅔ cup grated cheddar cheese
½ cup sour cream
3 green onions, chopped
¼ cup cilantro, coarsely chopped
Baked tortilla chips
1. Place drippings in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and saute until translucent, about 5 minutes.
2. Increase heat to medium high. Add garlic and beef, stirring to break up pieces, until browned, about 5 minutes.
3. Stir in crushed tomatoes, beef broth, chili powders, cumin and crushed red pepper.
4. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Stir in kidney beans and cook for 15 minutes.
6. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
7. Ladle in bowls and garnish before serving.
Get more great recipes from Denise Vivaldo at: www.denisevivaldo.com.
Return to episode guide >>