Cristina's Spicy Bloody Mary Chili
3 strips bacon, diced
1lb top sirloin, cut into 1-inch cubes, seasoned with salt and pepper
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/2 cup diced celery
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
1 Tbsp. minced garlic
2 Tbsp. chili powder
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp each dry mustard and oregano
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
2 cups beef broth
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can crushed tomatoes
2 Tbsp. horseradish
1 Tbsp Warcestershire sauce
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
Tabasco sauce to taste
Celery leaves with leaves
1. Cook bacon in a large saucepan over medium-high heat until crisp; drain on a paper-towel-lined plate.
2. Return pan to burner, add seasoned beef, and brown in drippings on all sides, about 5 minutes.
3. Transfer beef to the plate with the bacon; return pot to burner.
4. Stir in onion, bell pepper, celery, garlic, and jalapeno, then saute 3 minutes.
5. Stir in reserve bacon and beef.
6. Add chili powder, cumin, mustard, oregano, and cayenne; cook 2 minutes.
7. Add broth and diced and crushed tomatoes to chili; simmer 10 minutes.
Finish chili with horseradish, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice and Tabasco.
For a great presentation, serve in a mason jar lines with salt and garnished with a rib of celery.
Tips for Bloody Mary Chili:
- Shorten chili’s cook time by using a tender cut of beef like sirloin
- Stir broth into the beef and vegetables, scraping the pan to incorporate the browned bits
- Add horseradish last so the heat of the chili doesn’t diminish the horseradish’s potency.
Return to episode guide >>