Shirley Bovshow's Winter Squash vs. Summer Squash
Summer Squash & Winter Squash Tips:
• A winter squash in its prime should be heavy for it's size and shouldn't dent easily when scratched.
• Microwave hard squash in the microwave for 30 sec to soften for cutting and poke holes.
• Try a different winter squash each time you go to market.
Yield: (makes 25-30 fries, serves several)
• 1 kabocha squash, scrubbed
• 2-3 tablespoons coconut oil
• Sea salt and pepper
• Buffalo celery ranch dressing, for dipping
Preheat oven to 375. Cut squash in half at stem. Remove stem, seeds and innards, bottom core. Slice into uniform size pieces – half moon rounds the full size of the squash. Coat in coconut oil, arrange in a single layer on prepared (foil, parchment) baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper.
Bake at 375 for 20 minutes. Remove from oven, flip each slice to other side, return to oven for another 15 minutes or until lightly brown.
Roasted Carnival Squash
• 2 small carnival squash
• 2 tbsp oil
• 2 tbsp brown sugar
• salt, to taste
• freshly ground black pepper, to taste
• rosemary from 2 sprigs, chopped
My sister also suggested using maple syrup instead of brown sugar.
Get more great tips from Shirley Bovshow at FoodieGardener.com and on twitter @FoodieGardeners.
Cut the squash in half and remove the seeds.
Cut the squash in slices and place in a bowl.
Add all of the remaining ingredients and mix until the slices are coated.
Place the slices on a baking sheet, in one single layer.
Bake at 375F for 30 minutes or until the squash is cooked and soft.
We'd like to extend our gratitude to Melissa's World Produce for supplying our winter squash collection. Visit their site at Melissas.com.
Return to episode guide >>