Cristina's Greek Themed Recipes
Cristina's Hummus Recipe
- 1 (15 oz) chickpeas
- 2/3 c extra virgin olive oil
- 1t cumin
- 1 garlic
- 1/4c tahini
- 4t lemon juice
- 1/8t cayenne
- 1/2t salt
- 1 large cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1-tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1-tablespoon lemon juice
- 1-teaspoon lemon zest
- 1-teaspoon kosher salt
- 1-table fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh dill, finely chopped
- 2-cups Greek yogurt
Place cucumber, olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt, mint, and dill in a bowl a mix well. Add the Greek yogurt and mix well.
2. Cover with plastic wrap or place in an airtight container, and chill in the refrigerator for a least 1 to 2 hours before serving.
Cristina's Lamb Meatballs
- 1-pound ground lamb
- 3 tablespoons red onion, finely chopped
- 1 small garlic clove, minced or crushed in a garlic press
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons bread crumbs
- 1-teaspoon cumin
- 1-tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 cup fresh mint, loosely packed and finely chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 fresh lemon for squeezing and garnish, cut into quarters
- 1/8-teaspoon cayenne pepper, (optional)
1. In the bowl with the lamb, add onion, garlic, egg, bread crumbs, cumin, mayonnaise, fresh mint, and salt. Using your hands, mix thoroughly to distribute the ingredients evenly.
2. With a teaspoon, form the mixture into 24 meatballs. Don't level the meat off or pack the meatballs too tightly.
3. Preheat the broiler.
4. Lightly spread canola oil on a baking sheet using a paper towel. Place the meatballs 2 inches apart on the baking sheet, and position the baking sheet 4 inches from the heat source. Broil for about 5 minutes, turning once halfway through.
5. Place toothpicks into each meatball and arrange on a serving platter, squeeze fresh lemon juice over the top. Sprinkle the cayenne pepper over the meatballs at the last minute.
6. Serve with a cup of Tzatziki on the side. You will have some left over.
* The Tzatziki makes a great side dish with grilled shrimp, chicken or beef. Store in the refrigerator in an air tight container. Will keep for 3 days!
Return to episode guide >>