Joy the Baker's Coffee Bacon Recipe
8 slices uncooked bacon
1/4 cup freshly ground coffee
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons molasses
1 tablespoon water
1. Lay cascading bacon slices atop one another so that the fat is on top.
2. Place bacon on top of a piece of plastic wrap or brown butcher paper.
3. In a small bowl, stir together ground coffee, chili powder, brown sugar, molasses, and water.
4. Spread the mixture on top of the bacon slices, pressing with the back of a spoon.
5. The coffee topping will only be on the top, fatted rim of the bacon.
6. Wrap the bacon and coffee in the plastic wrap or butcher paper and place in the fridge.
7. You may want to put the mixture in a large sealable back to prevent any leaking.
8. Let sit for 2 hours of overnight.
9. When ready to bake, place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
10. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and pay separate bacon slices on the paper in a single layer.
11. If you prefer, you can wipe some of the ground coffee marinade off before baking.
12. The majority of the coffee will only be on the top layer of the bacon slice.
13. Bake until browned and crisp, 14 to 17 minutes, or until bacon has reached your desired crispiness.
14. Remove from the oven, allow to drain on a piece of paper towel.
Get Joy's Bacon Black Pepper Waffle recipe here, by adding an additional 1/2 teaspoon of fresh, coarsely cracked black pepper: www.joythebaker.com/2009/05/brown-sugar-bacon-waffles/
Get more of Joy's recipes at her website here: www.joythebaker.com.
Return to episode guide >>