Cristina's Healthy Chicken Tostada Salad
Use low fat whole wheat tortillas to eliminate calories.
Instead of frying the tortillas in oil I bake them in the oven.
If you want to make your own salsa, you can make it the day before and it will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days. Although store-bought salsa and guac are also perfectly good.
I am showing you a blueprint, but you could substitute grilled beef, shrimp, or turkey.
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1 medium red bell pepper, diced small
1 medium yellow bell pepper, diced small
2 celery ribs, diced, small
2 scallions, chopped small
1 tablespoon diced jalapeno
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
6 (8 ounce) whole wheat tortillas
6 cups wild arugula or baby greens
3 cups chopped roasted chicken breast (1 1/2-inch pieces)
1 1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
6 lime wedges
8 fresh cilantro sprigs
1 small jalapeno, seeded and diced
1. Pre-heat the oven to 400 F.
2. Spray the tortillas on both sides with cooking spray. Place them in the oven on the rack and bake for 20 to 30 minutes, until crisp and golden brown. Keep an eye on them so they don't burn. Remove from the oven and set aside.
3. To make the lemon dressing, in a glass bowl combine the olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, and kosher salt, and mix well. Set aside.
4. Make the tomato salsa and guacamole if you are not using store-bought. Cover and set aside in the refrigerator.
Make the Bean Salsa:
1. In a bowl, combine the beans, red and yellow peppers, celery, scallions, jalapeno, olive oil, lemon juice, cumin, salt, pepper to taste, and cilantro. Mix well. If you have the time, cover and let sit in the refrigerator for an hour. It will bring out the many layers of flavors. Any leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for 2 days.
2. When you are ready to serve, drizzle 3 tablespoons of lemon dressing over the arugula or baby greens and mix well.
3. Place one tortilla on each plate.
4. Spread 2 tablespoons of guacamole over each tortilla.
5. Add 1/2 cup of bean salsa toward the middle of the tortilla.
6. Add 1 cup of arugula or greens over the bean salsa.
7. Top with 1/2 cup chopped chicken, add as much of the tomato salsa as you like, and 2 tablespoons of Monterey Jack (more if desired).
8. Garnish with fresh cilantro sprigs and diced jalapeno. Serve with lime wedges.
For tomato salsa and guacamole recipes you can visit Cristina's website at http://cristinaferrarecooks.com/.
Beer Chicks' beer-pairing suggestion: Goose Island 312 Urban Wheat. It's an American wheat beer with a crisp fruity ale flavor with notes of citrus and grass and a creamy smooth refreshing finish. Perfect for light Mexican inspired food!
Make sure you follow us on Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/hallmarkchannel/
Return to episode guide >>