Check-in on GetGlue
 

Propagating Plants in Mini Greenhouses Made from Recycled Plastic Bottles


























What is PROPAGATION?

Propagation is simply the multiplication of a given plant species. Two types: Sexual


Propagation, which is growing plants from seed, and Asexual propagation: Multiplying or "cloning" plants by taking a portion or "cutting" of a larger plant (parent plant) and placing it in a favorable environment in which this portion / cutting can generate missing parts, i.e. the roots in order to form a whole new plant (daughter plant).



It sounds somewhat scientific but it is actually quite easy and requires little technical skill, which is part of the reason that 80% of nursery grown plants are grown by propagation through cuttings rather than by seed growing.



Another very significant reason we propagate by cuttings is to consistently produce a plant with the same favorable qualities or characteristics of a parent plant! Seed growing can be unpredictable, producing plants with undesirable results.



Step One:

  • Prepare a soil mix for our cuttings to take root.

  • In most cases, and for today's plants, we will use a mixture of soil that is 80% perlite, which is this very porous volcanic material used to increase drainage in soil mixes. The other 20% of our cutting mix is a very organic nutrient providing material called peat. Mix together. Thoroughly wet down.


Step Two:
  • Create or determine where you will grow your cuttings.

  • In larger nursery production this would be done in the warm moist environment of a greenhouse. We are going to use a recycled plastic bottle.


Step Three:
  • Collect your parent plant cuttings!
a)   What part of the plant to cut.
b)   When to take your cuttings.
c)   Work sterile!



Step Four:

  • Prepare and Place Cutting
a)   4" to 5" sections, cutting above and below the node (at least 2 nodes).
b)   Determine polarity (direction it was originally growing) make top cut angled to keep track of polarity.
c)   Remove ½ to ⅔ rd of leaves from bottom half.
d)   Remove any flowers (to encourage rooting auxins).
e)   Dip cutting into rooting powder.
f)   Place in soil.
g)   Press or tamp around cutting.


Step Five:
  • Add Plant Identification Tag
a)   Latin, common name
b)   Date
c)   Plant Symbolism….FOR FUN!!


Step Six:
  • Place cover on to create favorable greenhouse conditions!


Step Seven - Maintenance, Care and Observations:
a)   Mist daily.
b)   Keep out of direct sun. Filtered bright light indoors.
c)   Checking and determining roothold: tug test.
d)   Hardening off…. acclimation: placement into permanent home

 

Return to episode guide >>


 

 

July 2014
Next month >>
1
10:00 AM
12:00 PM
2
10:00 AM
12:00 PM
3
10:00 AM
12:00 PM
4
10:00 AM
12:00 PM
5
6
7
10:00 AM
12:00 PM
8
10:00 AM
12:00 PM
9
10:00 AM
12:00 PM
10
10:00 AM
12:00 PM
11
10:00 AM
12:00 PM
12
13
14
10:00 AM
12:00 PM
15
10:00 AM
12:00 PM
16
10:00 AM
12:00 PM
17
10:00 AM
12:00 PM
18
10:00 AM
12:00 PM
19
20
21
10:00 AM
12:00 PM
22
10:00 AM
12:00 PM
23
10:00 AM
12:00 PM
24
10:00 AM
12:00 PM
25
10:00 AM
12:00 PM
26
27
28
10:00 AM
12:00 PM
29
10:00 AM
12:00 PM
30
10:00 AM
12:00 PM
31
10:00 AM
12:00 PM
August 2014
<< Previous month
1
10:00 AM
12:00 PM
2
3
4
10:00 AM
12:00 PM
5
10:00 AM
12:00 PM
6
10:00 AM
12:00 PM
7
10:00 AM
12:00 PM
8
10:00 AM
12:00 PM
9
10
11
10:00 AM
12:00 PM
12
10:00 AM
12:00 PM
13
10:00 AM
12:00 PM
14
10:00 AM
12:00 PM
15
10:00 AM
12:00 PM
16
17
18
10:00 AM
12:00 PM
19
10:00 AM
12:00 PM
20
10:00 AM
12:00 PM
21
10:00 AM
12:00 PM
22
10:00 AM
12:00 PM
23
24
25
10:00 AM
12:00 PM
26
10:00 AM
12:00 PM
27
10:00 AM
12:00 PM
28
10:00 AM
12:00 PM
29
10:00 AM
12:00 PM
30
31
copyright © 2014 Crown Media, all rights reserved.