Build Your Own Deck, II with Tanya Memme
Finishing the Deck:
1. Use a Chalk Line to establish where you will cut the over-hanging planks.
2. Avoid breaking the chalk line by not putting excessive tension on the line.
3. Once the Chalk Line is established, remove over-hanging planks with a circular saw.
4. Get deck ready to be sealed or stained by giving it a power wash.
5. Don't waste money on renting a power wash. Many retailers sell jet nozzle attachments that turn your garden hose into an at home power wash.
Tips for Using Circular Saw:
1. Make sure your saw is set properly by measuring the depth of your cut.
2. When lining up your saw with the chalk line, look to the right side of the saw.
3. There are two notches at the top of the saw. Use them as a guide while moving the blade for the cut.
4. While you cut, keep your eyes on the base of the saw.
5. Don't push too hard on the saw that the motor speed sounds like it is decreasing. Just use enough force to get the saw moving, or else the blade would wander off of the chalk line.
6. After you finish a cut, make sure the blade returns to it's original position.
Get more great DIY tips from Tanya Memme here: www.tanyamemme.com.
Return to episode guide >>