All About Figs with Shirley Bovshow
What makes figs adaptable to growing in different climates around the country?"
• Fig trees become dormant in the Fall so they are able to survive through very cold winter weather- down to 20-degrees.
• Fig trees can be pruned and trained to stay at a manageable size in a container so they are easy to move indoors in winter to a cool, dark place.
• There are a variety of fig trees for short and long growing seasons.
What do fig trees need to grow successfully in a container?
• Select a site that gets full sun during spring to fall.
• Well draining soil.
• Slow release fertilizer beginning of growing season, or, fertilize with weak, diluted solution every week with tomato plant food.
• Consistent watering.
How do you plant a fig tree in a container?
• Large container, at least 18"-inches in diameter for a 5-gallon size nursery tree. Not too much larger than the root ball as fig trees like to have roots "bound."
• Potting soil or equal parts peat, perlite and vermiculite.
• Plant the fig tree at same height it is in nursery container.
• Remove any "sucker" growth. Suckers can then be used to create new plants!
When does the fig tree flower and produce fruit?
• Depending on variety, figs will produce one or two crops during growing season.
• First crop in May-June (breva) and again in late summer (main crop).
I brought some common fig trees that are "self fertile" and some fresh and dried figs.
• "Italian Everbearing Fig tree produces fruit similar to "Brown Turkey" but larger. (I have some on table for you to sample).
• "White Genoa Fig" tree bears green fruit with pink flesh similar to Green Kadota fig which I have here for you to sample).
• "Panache Fig "tree - green and white striped fruit with sweet pink flesh.
• Black Mission
Thank you to Green Thumb Nurseries for the fig trees SuperGarden.com.
Thank you to Melissa's for our delicious fresh and dry figs Melissas.com!
For more information about growing figs, visit Shirley's blog, FoodieGardener.com & @FoodieGardeners.
Return to episode guide >>