Paige's Grandma's Matzo Ball Soup
8 chicken thighs (whole with skin)
1 large (or 2 smaller) whole yellow onion, peeled and simply quartered
5 carrots (peeled and sliced)
Stalk of celery (main stalks sliced)
1 jar chicken bouillon cubes
Vegetable oil for the Matzo Meal (not olive oil)
1 box matzo meal (regular, not matzah ball mix)
1 pkg Manishevitz egg noodle flakes (they're the little flat squares -- these are sentimental and pretty important)
two very large stock pots (one for the soup, one for the matzah balls)
large mixing bowl
large glass liquid measuring cup
reg measuring cups and spoons
one pot to boil the noodle flakes
colander for the noodles
1. First boil the chicken about 40 min. Doing this not only cooks it, but cleans it.
2. Dump and rinse chicken.
3. Refill stock pot with 20 cups of water. Add 16 bouillon cubes.
4. Add back in chicken and then onion.
5. Cook on low 1 1/2 hours.
6. Then add carrots and celery. Cook another 1/2 hour. (Add only enough. Maybe not all of them.)
7. Remove chicken with a slotted spoon. Let cool. With two forks tear chicken from bone. Add meat back to soup.
8. In the meantime, mix up matzah ball batter according to package. Cover with plastic wrap and cool in the refrigerator for 30 min. When chilled, form and drop balls into a separate stock pot of boiling water. They are ready when the balls float to the top on the water.
9. Prepare noodles according to package. Add desired amount of cooked flakes to soup.
10. Serve up, placing 1 matzah ball in each bowl and ladling chicken soup over the Matzo Ball.
Return to episode guide >>