Today on Home & Family Wednesday, January 8th, 2014
Lori Loughlin opens up about her instant chemistry with John Stamos as Aunt Becky on "Full House" and her enduring friendship with the entire Tanner family. She reveals how this part developed into a multi-season role after originally being hired for only a six episode arc. Now, Lori is returning to another family-friendly program, the Hallmark Channel Original Series "When Calls the Heart." She explains how she was approached for the role of Abigail Stanton in this period piece. Set in a cole mining town in the early 1900s, Lori sympathizes with the women forced to wear corsets. She also explains how she makes time for family while the show is in production in Vancouver.
The Hallmark Channel Original Series "When Calls the Heart" premieres Saturday, January 11 at 9/8c on Hallmark Channel.
Greening Your Beauty Routine with Sophie Uliano
Sophie Uliano gives a lesson in overhauling your beauty routine with healthier lotions. She tells us what to look for when reading ingredient lists and loopholes that can be found on labels. Plus, Sophie explains the benefits of non-toxic nail polish and using coconut oil on dry skin.
1. It's important to avoid buying lotions that claim they are "natural." Always check the ingredients on the back first to confirm.
2. Parabens are the most common preservatives in cosmetic products. 3. Avoid products that contain parabens or DBPs/DEPs which disrupt the body's hormones. 4. Look for chemical free products that read "Paraben or Parfum" free. For more from natural lifestyle expert Sophie Uliano go to: Website: www.gorgeouslygreen.com
Cristina Cooks Sweet Onion Dip & Baked Beet Chips
From the pages of Cristina's friends' cookbook "Bountiful," she makes a sweet onion dip great for hosting a big football get-together. She suggests leaving it in oven long enough to get crusty on top. Cristina likes to serve this with crostini, crackers, and vegetables, particularly her baked beet chips.
"Bountiful" is available on whiteonricecouple.com.
Kelly Stables talks about her experience co-starring alongside Charlie Sheen and Jon Cryer on "Two and a Half Men." Now in the third season of "The Exes," the petite actress alludes to some of the dilemmas her character gets involved in and jokes about the drastic height difference between herself and co-star Kristen Johnston. Plus, she shares photos from the early days of her acting career as an ape and a caveman. Don't miss Kelly teaching Mark some jazz-ma-tazz dance moves!
"The Exes" airs tonight at a special time of 10/9c on TV Land.
Check out kellystables.com for more with the actress.
How a Kidney Transplant Chain "Pays It Forward"
Dr. Jeffrey Veale, Director of the UCLA Kidney Transplantation Exchange Program, is here today to raise awareness for paying it forward through the selfless act of kidney donation. Altruistic kidney donor Harry Damon joins us via Skype to explain his motivation for donating his spare kidney to a mother in need. The ripple-effect of Harry's generous donation has triggered an entire chain of life. Here's how it works:
Harry Damon, kidney donor >> Sheila Whitney, recipient of Harry's kidney >> Sheila's son Reginald Griffin, kidney donor >> Keenan Cheung, recipient of Reginald's kidney >> Keenan's wife Jeanne Cheung, kidney donor >> Sonia Castro, recipient of Jeanne's kidney Facts & Figures:
1. The first living donor kidney transplant occurred in 1954.
2. Almost half of kidney transplants come from live donors. 3. Humans are born with two kidneys, but can live a normal life with only one. 4. Live donor kidneys last twice as long as a kidney from a deceased donor. 5. 35% of donors are incompatible to a loved one needing a kidney. Visit http://Transplants.UCLA.edu/ to learn more. To find out more about kidney transplant chains, go to The National Kidney Registry website kidneyregistry.org.
New Year's Resolutions for Your Pets with Laura Nativo
Bark up a different tree in the new year by committing to a healthier lifestyle for your pets. Stick to these resolutions that focus on nutrition, fitness, grooming, and playing. The "Fairy Dogmother" Laura Nativo suggests switching your animals to homecooked or raw food diets, as well as giving them vitamins. Laura's dog Delilah even demonstrates how dogs can incorporate specialized exercise equipment, such as a doggie treadmill, into their fitness routine. To keep the tail wagging and the brain stimulated, Laura's other pooch Preston interacts with some fun games to earn treats.
-Read pet food labels and avoid by-products and chemicals. -50% of pets in the U.S. are classified as overweight. 2. Fitness -Fit Paws, www.fitpawsusa.com
3. Groom your pet daily and practice good oral hygiene habits -Brushing your pet daily helps distribute oils from the skin to fur. -Brush your pet's teeth 3X per week. 4. Incorporate play time with your pets -Studies show mental stimulation reduces cognitive deterioration in aging animals. Check out strangestangels.org for information on pet adoption.
Sargento's Healthy Cheese Snacks
Cristina presents an assortment of low-calorie, finger-friendly cheesy snacks from Sargento. With each bite, you'll also add protein to your diet.
Get these healthy cheese snacks>> Snacks:
1. Protein Packed Pita- 182 calories, 13 grams of protein
2. Orange Almond String Mini-Meal- 149 calories, 9 grams of protein 3. Sargento Cheese Snack and Apples- 188 calories, 10 grams of protein 4. Colby-Jack Pretzel Dippers- 105 calories, 6.9 grams of protein 5. Caprese Skewers- 74 calories, 2.5 grams of fat 6. Colby-Jack Crunch- 160 calories, 11 grams of protein Go to sargento.com/snacks for more recipes.
Organizing Your Home & Car with Jill Simonian
Start 2014 off right with Jill Simonian's tips for organizing your home and car that promise to keep you on track the entire year. She explains how to use a new app from mabelslabels.com to label and scan stored items, so the box can be easily located later. She also showcases pockets, boxes, cubes, and more to compartmentalize everything from shoes to toys to baseball caps to books.
Mabel's Labels Scan & Store App:
mabelslabels.com, $12 for 18
Zulily.com will be running a sale for 3 days beginning January 14. Jill recommends these organizing products:
Macbeth 20-Pocket Shoe Organizer, retail: $30, zulily: $14.99
Macbeth Collapsible Trunk Organizer, retail: $24, zulily: $12.99 Macbeth Medium Zippered Storage Box, retail: $14, zulily: $8.99 Whitmor Hippo and Monkey Collapsible Storage Cube, retail: $16, zulily: $7.99 High Road Media Organizer, retail $12, zulily, $7.99 Tips:
1. Don't let laundry pile up. Do it every few days.
2. Pick up nightly before bed. 3. Don't touch bills more than twice. For more with consumer reporter Jill Simonian, please visit thefabmom.com and follow her on Twitter @jillsimonian.
Get more great recipes and crafts by visiting us on Pinterest at pinterest.com/homeandfamilytv and follow "Home & Family" on Twitter @homeandfamilytv and Facebook. Plus, check out our YouTube channel for backstage videos.