- 1 lbs Gluten Free Rice pasta
- 2 cups frozen or fresh butternut squash
- 1/2 a medium onion grated
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 cup low sodium chicken stock
- 1/2 cup reduced fat milk/unsweetened almond milk (adds creaminess without all the fat)
- 1/2 cup grated white cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast **
- 1 tsp liquid amino acids
- 1 tsp fresh or dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 garlic cloves smashed and minced
- 1/2 cup gluten free breadcrumbs
- 2 tbs freshly chopped parsley
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add the rice pasta. Cook until tender, about 12-14 minutes.
- While the pasta is cooking, in a large sauce pan add the oil & grated onion, amino acids pepper, thyme, cayenne, and grated nutmeg. Stir for a few minutes until translucent.
- Add the butternut squash, low sodium chicken stock, reduced fat milk, nutritional yeast, and bring to a boil and turn off heat.
- With a hand immersion blender puree the sauce until smooth. Alternatively, you can transfer mixture to a blender and blend, returning the sauce to the same pot.
- Stir in grated cheddar cheese, Strain the cooked pasta, and add it to the butternut squash sauce.
- Mix until the pasta is fully incorporated with the sauce.
- In a small sauce pan, add the minced garlic, breadcrumbs and chopped parsley for about a minute. Serve into bowls, and garnish with a sprinkle of the breadcrumb mixture
** About the nutritional yeast: Sold in a similar looking parmesan cheese container/ yellow flakes or powder, low in fat and sodium and contains B-complex vitamins which help produce serotonin and regulate mood, helps boost immune systems and help boost your GOOD cholesterol. The flavor profile gives off a nutty/cheesy taste, a great substitute in Vegan cooking!
** About the liquid amino acids: Liquid protein concentrate derived from soybeans, that contains essential and non essential amino. NO table salt or preservatives are added
Watch the Video >>
Return to Episode Guide >>
Get more great recipes and crafts by visiting us on Pinterest at pinterest.com/homeandfamilytv and follow "Home & Family" on Twitter @homeandfamilytv and Facebook. Plus, check out our YouTube channel for backstage videos.