Tiered Christmas Cake
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 tsp. Sunkist® fresh grated orange peel
- 4 eggs, separated
- 3 cups sifted cake flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup Sunkist® fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
- 1 tsp. Sunkist® fresh grated orange peel
- 1 tsp. Sunkist® fresh squeezed orange juice
- Whole almonds
Makes 12 servings
Preparation: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In large bowl cream together shortening and sugar. Add orange peel for flavor
- You can use a bundt or tube pan
- For frosting stir in an orange peel and juice for zest flavor
Directions for the Cake:
- In large bowl cream together shortening and sugar. Add orange peel. Beat in egg yolks one at a time.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, soda and salt. Add to creamed mixture alternately with orange juice, beating until smooth. Stir in chopped almonds.
- Beat egg whites until foamy, add cream of tartar and continue beating until stiff but not dry. Gently fold egg whites into cake batter.
- Pour into well greased and lightly floured 10 inch Bundt or tube pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes, remove from pan and cool on wire rack.
Directions for the Frosting:
- In small bowl gradually blend sugar into cream cheese, stir in orange peel and juice.
- Spread on sides of cake (do not frost top).
- Garnish with whole almonds to form "crown".
Get more great recipes and crafts by visiting us on Pinterest at pinterest.com/homeandfamilytv and follow "Home & Family" on Twitter @homeandfamilytv and Facebook. Plus, check out our YouTube channel for backstage videos.