Yields 12 -14 Stuffed Swiss Chard Rolls
FOR THE SAUCE
1. Heat the olive oil in a sauce pot over medium heat. Add the onions and red pepper flakes. Cook until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes, then add in the tomatoes, vegetabe broth, thyme and sugar.
2. Simmer the sauce for about 20 minutes until thickened. Stir occasionally. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside to cool.
FOR THE STUFFED SWISS CHARD
***Pre heat oven to 350 F.
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Fill a large bowl with ice water.
2. Remove the thick stems from the chard leaves. Try to keep most of the leaf intact.
3. When the water comes to a boil, salt generously. Working in batches, blanch the chard leaves for 1 minutes and then immediately transfer to the bowl of ice water. Transfer the leaves to a colander and allow the water to drain away. Set aside.
4. In a large bowl, combine the cooked rice and beans, Cannellini beans and herbs.
5. Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic. Sauté until the onions are translucent and the garlic is fragrant. Add these to the rice mixture and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Lightly oil the inside of an 8” x 8” oven-safe baking dish. Spoon 1 cup of the Tomato sauce into the bottom of the baking dish.
7. To stuff the leaves, lay them on a flat surface with stem end closest to you. If the leaves are split, overlap them slightly towards the center. Place ¼ cup of the rice filling at the bottom and center of each leaf. Begin rolling from the bottom up. Fold the sides of the leaves towards the center, tucking in the sides as you go.
8. Place each roll into the prepared baking dish, seam side down in a single layer. The stuffed leaves should fit snuggly.
9. Pour the remaining tomato sauce evenly over the top of the stuffed Swiss chard. Cover with foil and bake for 30-35 minutes or until the sauce is hot and bubbling.