Taste of Home Southern Favorites: Southern Shrimp and Grits
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups 2% milk
- ⅓ cup butter, cubed
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¾ cup uncooked old-fashioned grits
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 thick-sliced bacon strips, chopped
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon Cajun or blackened seasoning
- 4 green onions, chopped
Recipe by "Taste of Home" Contributor Mandy Rivers Lexington, SC
Prep: 15 min.
Cook: 20 min.
- In a large saucepan, bring the broth, milk, butter, salt and pepper to a boil.
- Slowly stir in grits. Reduce heat. Cover and cook for 12-14 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in cheese until melted. Set aside and keep warm.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp.
- Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving 4 teaspoons drippings.
- Saute the shrimp, garlic and seasoning in drippings until shrimp turn pink.
- Serve with grits and sprinkle with onions.
For More Great "Taste of Home" Recipes, go to www.tasteofhome.com.