“Taste of Home” Magazine’s Gram's Fried Chicken
- 1 egg
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 2 cups mashed potato flakes
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon each dried oregano, parsley flakes and minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- Oil for frying
- In a shallow bowl, whisk egg and milk. In another shallow bowl, toss potato flakes with seasonings. Remove half of the mixture and reserve (for a second coat of breading).
- Pound chicken with a meat mallet to 1/2-in. thickness. Dip chicken in egg mixture, then in potato mixture, patting to help coating adhere. Arrange chicken in an even layer on a large plate. Cover and refrigerate chicken and remaining egg mixture 1 hour. Discard remaining used potato mixture.
- In a 12 inchi cast-iron or other deep skillet, heat 1/2 inch of oil over medium heat to 350°. For the second coat of breading, dip chicken in remaining egg mixture, then in unused potato mixture; pat to coat. Fry chicken 4-5 minutes on each side or until golden brown and chicken is no longer pink. Drain on paper towels. Yield: 4 servings.
"Taste of Home" is the #1 food and entertaining magazine in the world, with 3.2 million readers. Each year, "Taste of Home" receives more than 11,000 ideas and recipe submissions from real home cooks across the country. Just under 2,000 recipes are tested and then featured in "Taste of Home" magazines, cookbooks, and on tasteofhome.com.
Get more great recipes and crafts by visiting us on Pinterest at pinterest.com/homeandfamilytv and follow "Home & Family" on Twitter @homeandfamilytv and Facebook. Plus, check out our YouTube channel for backstage videos.