"Taste of Home" Halloween Recipes
Taco Dip Dragon
Knights are sure to clamor for this mythical monster. Refried beans are spread into a dragon shape and sprinkled with tempting toppings. Tortilla chip "scales" line its back while red pepper "flames" blaze from its mouth.
6-8 Servings Prep/Total Time: 25 min.
• 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
• 2 tablespoons taco seasoning • 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream • 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese • 1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes • ½ cup sliced ripe olives • 1 cup guacamole • 2 cups torn lettuce • 1 whole ripe olive • Dragon Dippers or purchased tortilla chips • ½ medium sweet red pepper Recipe:
- In a bowl, combine the beans and taco seasoning.
- Cut a large hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; fill with bean mixture.
- Trace a dragon shape (about 16 in. x 10 in.) onto waxed paper (see diagram below); cut out.
- Place pattern on an 18-in. x 12-in. covered board.
- Pipe bean mixture around pattern. Remove pattern.
- Pipe remaining bean mixture within dragon outline; spread to fill.
- Set aside 1 tablespoon sour cream.
- Spread remaining sour cream over bean mixture. Top with cheese, tomatoes, olives, guacamole and lettuce.
- For the eye, spoon reserved sour cream onto head; top with the olive.
- Place Dragon Dippers along back and top of head. With a sharp knife, cut red pepper into a flame shape (see diagram); position below mouth.
- Serve with additional dippers.
Let your slow cooker do the work for you when these tender turkey legs make an appearance at your stately supper. Canned enchilada sauce, green chilies and cumin give this lip-smacking entree a zesty royal treatment.
6 Servings Prep: 15 min. Cook: 8 hours
• 1 can (10 ounces) enchilada sauce
• 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained • 1 teaspoon dried oregano • ½ teaspoon garlic salt • ½ teaspoon ground cumin • 6 turkey drumsticks (12 ounces each), skin removed • 3 tablespoons cornstarch • 3 tablespoons cold water Recipe:
- In a large bowl, combine the enchilada sauce, chilies, oregano, garlic salt and cumin.
- Place the drumsticks in a 5-qt. slow cooker; top with sauce. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 180°.
- Remove turkey to a serving platter; keep warm.
- Skim fat from cooking juices; transfer to a small saucepan.
- Bring liquid to a boil.
- Combine cornstarch and water until smooth.
- Gradually stir into the pan.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Serve with turkey drumsticks.
Black-Hearted Candy Apples
The glossy coating of these old-fashioned candy apples is hard, not soft like the more common caramel variety. It's best to lick them like a lollipop. You can also cut into wedges with a sharp knife, but the candy coating may crack.
4 Servings Prep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min. + standing
• 4 medium red Apples
• 4 Popsicle or decorative lollipop sticks • 2 cups sugar • 1 cup water • ⅔ cup light corn syrup • ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided • Red food coloring • Black food coloring Recipe:
- Wash and dry apples; remove stems. Insert Popsicle sticks into apples. Place on a waxed paper-lined baking sheet; set aside.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, water and corn syrup. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Bring to a boil. Cook, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 290° (soft-crack stage).
- Remove from the heat and pour into two small bowls; stir ¼ teaspoon cinnamon and red food coloring in one bowl. Stir black food coloring and remaining cinnamon into other bowl.
- Working quickly, dip apples into hot sugar mixtures to completely coat. Place on prepared baking sheet; let stand until set. Yield: 4 servings.