Sweet & Savory Brisket and Crispy Potato Stacks
- 3 onions, sliced
- 8 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 Tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons oil
- 1 (4-pound) brisket
- ½ cup apricot jam
- ½ cup red wine
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 medium russet potatoes (about 2½ pounds), with peel, washed well
- 1 Tablespoon coarse sea salt, for garnish
Directions for Brisket
1.Place onion slices into a large roasting pan. Set aside.
2.In a small bowl, combine garlic, basil, paprika, salt and olive oil to make a paste. Rub mixture all over brisket.
3.In a large sauté pan, heat 2 tablespoons oil. Sear brisket on both sides, approximately 4 minutes on each side. Place brisket over onions in roasting pan.
4.In a small bowl, combine jam, wine, and lemon juice. Pour over brisket and onions. Marinate for 1 hour in the refrigerator.
5.Preheat oven to 325˚F. Roast brisket, covered, for 3 hours.
6.Cool; slice against the grain and serve.
Even though first cut brisket is considered by many to be of higher quality, I prefer second cut, which has more marbling, yielding a juicier and softer roast.
Directions for Potato Stacks
1) Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
2) In a large bowl, whisk together olive oil, salt, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and
3) Use a mandolin or a sharp knife to thinly slice the potatoes. Add potato slices to oil mixture; toss to coat evenly.
4) Stack potatoes in towers of 6-8 slices on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 30-35 minutes,
until the tops are golden brown and the centers of the potato stacks are tender.
5) Sprinkle tops with coarse sea salt before serving.
Check out more delicious recipes at the Home & Family Pinterset Page