Sweet Potato Tacos with Bacon Fat
- 2 1⁄2 lbs. Sweet Potatoes
- 1 1⁄2 Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 6 1⁄2 oz Poblano Peppers (seeded, finely diced)
- 10 White Onions ( finely diced)
- 3oz Pumpkin Seeds
- 1 tsp Hot Smoked Paprika
- 2 tsp Ground Cumin
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1oz Green Onion (finely sliced)
- 1 lb Maseca, instant corn masa
- 24oz Water
- 1 Tbsp Bacon Fat
- 1stp Kosher Salt
Steps for Sweet Potato Picadillo
1. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. When the oil begins to shimmer add the sweet potatoes and allow them to brown, undisturbed for about 2 minutes. Once the potatoes release from the pan, stir them periodically to evenly brown them.
2. Using a slotted spoon remove the sweet potatoes and reserve them.*make sure to keep the olive oil in the pan
3. Add the poblano peppers and onions and all the spices to the pan and sweat them on medium heat until they are fully cooked and the onions become translucent. *be careful not to burn the spices.
4. Remove the skillet from the burner, add the green onions and toss or stir to combine. *serve immediately
Directions for Bacon Fat tortillas
Preheat a cast iron griddle or skillet to medium high heat.
1. Add all of the ingredients to the bowl and use a wooden spoon to mix them together until a dough forms.
2. Use your hands to knead the dough for 2 or 3 minutes, to evenly distribute all of the ingredients and to fully hydrate the maseca.
3. Wrap the dough tightly with plastic wrap and rest at room temperature for 20 minutes.
4. Break off a 1 1/2 oz piece of dough and form a ball.
5. Place the ball between sheets of plastic or wax paper and press it using a manual, cast iron tortilla press.
*Your tortillas should be about 6 inches across. Cook each tortilla as you
6. Place the tortilla on your cooking surface and allow it cook until the edges begin to lift from the pan and brown spots begin to appear.
7. Flip the tortilla and, using your hand or the back of a spatula, give it a few presses all around. This will cause your tortilla to puff up.
*When the other side forms brown spots and the tortilla puffs up it is done.
Check out more deicious recipes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page