Directions for Chili
1. In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high. Add onion, fennel, garlic, and chilies and cook until the onions are soft, about 5-6 minutes.
2. Add salt, cumin, fennel seeds, oregano, and cayenne, and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
3. Add turkey and cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until cooked through, about 5 minutes.
4. Add the broth. Bring to a boil, partially cover, and reduce heat to a simmer; cook until chili is thickened slightly, about 15-20 minutes.
5. Stir in beans and cornmeal and cook 10 minutes more. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro and lime juice. Serve with cheese, lime wedges, and a side of cornbread.
Directions for Cornbread
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line bottom and sides of a 9-by-13 inch baking pan with foil, leaving an overhang on all sides. Spray with cooking spray.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt; set aside. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and buttermilk; whisk in melted butter. Stir cornmeal mixture into buttermilk mixture just until moistened.
3. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for about 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool in pan at least 15 minutes before slicing.