Stuart O’Keeffe’s Minced steak and mushrooms in whiskey cream sauce
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup whiskey
- 10oz fresh mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- In a bowl, combine the ground meat, bread crumbs, egg, salt and pepper. Mix well, then form into 4 oval patties, about 1/2 in (1cm) thick.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the patties, arranging them so they don’t touch each other. Brown patties well on both sides, about 3 min per side. Remove from pan. Set aside.
- Add the chopped onion to the pan and cook, stirring for 5 min, or until transparent . Add whiskey.
- Add the mushrooms and thyme, and cook, stirring often, until the mushrooms have released their liquid and are softened, 3 to 5 min.
- Sprinkle in the flour, stir well, then add the broth. whisk to eliminate lumps, until sauce starts simmering and begins to thicken.
- Return patties to pan with the mushrooms. Reduce heat to low, cover the pan and simmer for 10 minutes turning the patties over once and basting with sauce.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve immediately with mashed potatoes to soak up the gravy.
For more information on Stuart’s apron line, go to: