Spring Pea Hummus with Black Olive Croutons
- 3 cups fresh peas, shucked
- 1.5 quart water plus 2 quarts iced water
- 4 cloves garlic blanched
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil (california olive ranch)
- 3 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 2 Tablespoons Tahini Paste
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Pinch toasted, ground cumin seed
- Pinch Smoked Paprika
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup AP flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cup kalamata olives pitted
- 6 Tablespoons butter
- 3 cups snap peas
- 1 cup pea tendrils
- 1/4 cup olive oil
Directions for Hummus:
- Prepare a bowl of iced water (about 2 quarts). Put remaining 1.5 quarts of water in a small pot and boil.
- Add shucked peas to boiling water and cook until bright green and tender
- Strain the peas into a colander and plunge into iced water. Once cold, remove from ice bath and pour into blender.
- Add tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic cloves, salt.
- Blend on high speed until smooth.
- Remove from blender and serve or chill up to 3 hours.
Directions for croutons:
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- Melt butter, pour into blender. Add olives, and cocoa powder and puree.
- Put panko into a food processor. Add flour.
- Pour butter mixture into food processor. Pulse until its all mixed evenly.
- Pour onto a cookie tray lined with a piece of parchment paper and spread out evenly.
- Cook at 350*F for 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow time for it to cool at room temperature until ready to serve.
Directions for plating with final ingredients:
- Put a dollop of hummus in the middle of a plate
- Using a spoon, make a well in the center.
- Pour 2 tablespoons olive oil into the well
- Arrange peas around 1 side of the dish
- Sprinkle cumin and paprika over hummus
- Put 3 tablespoons olive crumbs on opposite side
- Garnish with pea tendrils
Get more great recipes and crafts by visiting us on Pinterest at pinterest.com/homeandfamilytv and follow "Home & Family" on Twitter @homeandfamilytv and Facebook. Plus, check out our YouTube channel for backstage videos.