Spice Rubbed Sustainable Fish Sliders
- 1 small handful parsley, leaves coarsely chopped
- 1 small handful coriander (cilantro), leaves coarsely chopped
- 250 g (9 oz) gherkins (pickles), coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained and coarsely chopped
- 260 g (9 1⁄4 oz/ 1 cup) Greek-style yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 white fish fillet (for tips on buying sustainably, see page 113)
- Vegetable oil, for shallow-frying
- 4 fresh slider rolls
- 600 ml (21 fl oz) yoghurt tartar sauce (see page 234)
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1⁄3 red cabbage, coarsely grated
- 1⁄3 fennel bulb, coarsely grated
- 1 green apple coarsely grated
- 1⁄3 red onion, finely sliced
- 1 large handful mint leaves
- 1 tablespoon pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 200 ml (7 fluid oz) apple cider vinegar
- 50 ml (1 1⁄2 fl oz/ 2 1⁄2 tablespoons) olive oil
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 2 cardamom pods
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon smoky paprika
- 2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground chili
Directions for Yoghurt Tartar
Put all of the ingredients in a large jar and mix well. Season with salt and pepper and store in the fridge in an airtight container.
Directions for Sliders
1) To make the slaw, put the cabbage, fennel, apple, onion, mint and pepitas in a large bowl. Put the vinegar and oil I a jar and shake together. Pour over the slaw and toss lightly. Set aside.
2) To make the spice rub, toast the coriander seeds and cardamom pods in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Using a mortar and pestle, pound and grind together the coriander, cardamom, peppercorns, paprika, salt, garlic powder, oregano and chili.
3) Season the fish with the spice rub. Heat a little oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Pan-fry the fish for 5 minutes, flip and cook the other side for 5 minutes, or until cooked through.
4) I believe slider-building is a very personal thing, so gather together your rolls, fish, tartar sauce, slaw and tomato, and put together the slider of your dreams!
Check out more delicious recipes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page