Southwest Chicken Salad
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 11⁄2 teaspoons olive oil
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper
- 11⁄2 cups fresh corn kernels
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, very finely chopped or pressed through a garlic press
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 scallions (green parts only), finely chopped
- 1 cup cooked black beans (homemade, page 81; or canned, rinsed)
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and grated on the large-hole side of a box grater
- 11⁄2 cups baby spinach
Directions for the Chicken
1) Heat a gas or charcoal grill to medium-high heat.
2) Set the chicken on a cutting board and coat both pieces evenly with the olive oil.
3) Season the chicken with 1 teaspoon of salt and 1⁄2 teaspoon of pepper and grill until cooked through, about 7 minutes on each side.
4) Transfer to a plate, tent with foil, and set aside for 10 minutes before chopping into bite-size pieces.
5) Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil. Add 1-teaspoon salt and the corn. Cook until the corn is al dente, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain in a colander, to a medium bowl, and set aside.
Directions for Dressing
1) To make the dressing: In a medium bowl, whisk together the vinegar, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, paprika, oregano, 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper, and olive oil.
Directions for Salad
In a large bowl, combine the chicken, corn, tomatoes, scallions, beans, carrots, and spinach and toss to combine. Pour the dressing over the salad, toss, and serve.
Check out more delicious recipes from the Home & Family Pinterest Page