- 2 1/2 cups cubed and steamed rhubarb (6 ounces) I chopped 5 sticks of rhubarb into 1 inch cubes and steamed until soft but not mushy
- 3 cups strawberries (10 ounces)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 8 cups lightly packed shaved ice (made with an ice shaver, preferably manual)
- Organic condensed milk
Special equipment: an ice shaver, preferably manual
- Cube and steam rhubarb (3 minutes).
- Coarsely mash 1 ½ cups rhubarb and 2 cups strawberries with sugar and water in a 2 to 3-quart heavy saucepan using a potato masher.
- Bring to a boil, stirring, then boil, uncovered, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a blender and purée until almost smooth, about 1 minute (use caution when blending hot liquids).
- Pour berry mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl, pressing lightly on and then discarding solids.
- Cool syrup, uncovered, then chill, its surface loosely covered with plastic wrap, until cold, about 1 hour.
- For each serving, spoon 3 tablespoons syrup over 1 cup lightly packed shaved ice and top with ¼ cup of remaining strawberries cut up.
- Serve immediately.
- Drizzle organic condensed milk to make creamy and delicious.
Check Sophie out at
SophieUliano.com. Follow Sophie Uliano on Twitter
@SophieUliano, and find her on Facebook at