Smashed Yukon Potatoes
- 12 (about 3-inch by 3-inch) Yukon gold or yellow Dutch potatoes
- 1 quart chicken stock, homemade or store-bought organic chicken broth
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme, one snipped into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Kosher salt
- Crack pepper
- Pinch of truffle salt (optional)
1) Place the potatoes in a large saucepan and fill with chicken stock, making sure the stock covers the potatoes by 2 inches. (If you’ve run out of the chicken stock, you can use water.) Bring to a gentle boil, and cook for 45 minutes or until the potatoes are soft enough to run a knife through the center. Drain the potatoes and pat dry.
2) With a wine bottle or olive oil bottle, gently smash the potatoes to flatten them slightly to break open the skins. Heat a skillet (preferably cast iron) for 5 minutes. Add the oil and let heat for 30 seconds. Add the smashed potatoes and fry for about 4 minutes or until the bottoms become crusty. Gently turn over; add sprig of the snipped thyme, and fry for 4 minutes. Turn off the heat, add butter, and sprinkle with kosher salt and pepper or truffle salt. Top with remaining thyme leaves and serve immediately.
* Family favorites and classics with a twist are what we look for! Also, recipes that use lighter ingredients with fewer calories are a plus.
Submit your recipes to TasteofHome.com
Check out more delicious recipes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page