Serves 8 -16
1. Preheat oven to 400F with a rack in the middle. Load 9” cast iron skillet to heat through 15 minutes before baking.
2. In a large bowl whisk together sonora, cornmeal, thyme, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
3. Make a well in the center of your dry mixture. Add buttermilk, egg, sorghum and melted butter.
4. Pull skillet from oven and add a knob of butter, swirling to coat. Return pan to oven for 2 minutes to get fat hot. Remove pan and pour in batter. Return pan to oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown and cake tester comes out clean.
Directions for Lemon Butter
1. Mix together the butter and lemon zest.