1. Season short rib with salt and pepper. Sear short ribs pieces in grapeseed oil. Remove beef from pan and add onions, carrot and celery. Cook on high until seared. Add short rib cubes back to pan. Add port and stir to deglaze the pan. Add bay leaf, thyme and beef stock and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 2-3 hours or until fork tender. Keep pan covered so that the stock does not reduce.
2. Strain the stock through a mesh sieve, reserving liquid. Add water if necessary to bring the volume of stock back up to 6 cups. Discard vegetables and herbs. Add short ribs, shredding slightly back to stock.
3. Sweat julienne onions in grapeseed oil on medium heat. Reduce heat to medium low and stir every 10 minutes or until deeply caramelized. This will take at least an hour. Add port, sherry and madeira to onions. Cook 5 minutes at a simmer. Add short ribs and reserved stock. Cook for 30 minutes and season with salt to taste.
4. Cut baguettes to fit inside the lip of your soup crock. Season with EVOO, salt and pepper and toast in oven at 350 degrees until golden brown.
5. Fill soup croups with soup. Top with one crouton per crock and two slices of compte cheese. Broil in oven until golden brown and bubbly. Serve with care.