Theodore Leaf is in the kitchen preparing a delicious seafood dish and pairing it with healthy and flavorful lentils that serves 4-6.
- 4-8oz Salmon filets, skin removed
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Salt & freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons plus ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 leek, white and light green parts, sliced ¼ inch thick
- 2 carrots, peeled and 1/2-inch diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, whole
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 cup French green lentils
- 1 whole onion. Peeled and stuck with 1 whole clove and bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Directions for Seared Salmon
- Preheat a dry ovenproof skillet (or 2 if they are smaller) on the stovetop for 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile pat the salmon fillets dry and rub with the oil, season with salt and pepper.
- When the pans are hot gently lay the filets onto the hot pan and do not touch.
- Check after 3 minutes by sliding a fish spatula near the edges of the filet, if it starts to move you can flip, otherwise wait for the crust to form to easily flip the filet. Cook to desired doneness and serve immediately with mustard lentils.
Directions Mustard Lentils
- Heat the 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a medium sauté pan, add the leek, carrots and tomatoes, and cook over medium heat for 4-6 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant and set aside.
- Place the lentils, 4 cups of water, the onion with the clove, and the bay leaf in a large saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes. (just tender)
- Remove and discard the onion and bay leaf, drain the lentils.
- Place them back into the sauce pan with the leek, carrots, and tomatoes, add the butter.
- Add the ¼ cup of olive oil, mustard, vinegar, salt, and pepper to a glass measuring cup.
- Mix with an immersion blender.
- Add to the lentils, stir well, and allow the lentils to cool slightly.
Get more information about this episode >>
Check out more delicious recipes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page