Special equipment: heavy-duty aluminum foil
1) Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Put an oven rack in the lowest position with a 6-inch clearance above. Cut six 6-inch squares of heavy-duty foil and six 1-inch squares of heavy-duty foil. Using the larger foil squares, wrap each sugar cone, molding to the shape of the cone to cover completely and tucking in excess. Spray the outside of the foil generously with cooking spray and set aside.
2) Brush the 6 tortillas on both sides using 2 tablespoons of oil. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of Parmesan over each side of each tortilla. Curl a tortilla into a cone shape with a closed point and a 3-inch-diameter top and secure the seam with a toothpick. Trim the top of the cone with scissors to make an even edge. Slip the sugar cone inside the tortilla cone to help hold its shape and put it on a large baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining tortillas, oil, cheese, and cones.
3) Bake for 5 minutes, then wrap the tip of each cone with the small foil squares to keep the tips from burning. Return to the oven until the cones are lightly browned and crisp and hold their shape, 5 to 7 minutes more. Remove the foil tips, and gently remove the foil cone inserts and toothpicks. Discard the toothpicks. Unwrap and reserve the sugar cones for another use. If the tortilla cones are still soft, return them, empty, to the oven, to cook until crisp, 1 to 2 minutes more.
4) Meanwhile make the sausage filling. Add 2 teaspoons oil to a medium pan over medium-high heat, then add the sausage and peppers. Cook, stirring often and breaking the meat apart, for 1 minute. Continue to cook undisturbed to allow the sausage to brown, 1 more minute. Scrape up the browned bits and cook, stirring occasionally, until the meat is cooked through and browned, about 4 minutes more. Add the pizza sauce and cook until heated through, 1 minute. Set aside and keep warm until ready to use.
Cover the top of a deep pot with heavy-duty foil, wrapping it taut over the top. Using the tip of a knife, cut six 1-inch Xs in the foil spaced evenly apart. When the cones are cool enough to handle, place one cone in each of the slits.
5) Sprinkle a pinch of the mozzarella inside each cone. Add 1 tablespoon of sauce, followed by a pinch of cheese, another tablespoon sauce and another tablespoon of cheese in each cone. Repeat with the remaining cones. Bake the pizza cones on the lowest rack of the oven until the cheese is melted and the sauce is hot, about 5 minutes. Serve immediately with crushed red pepper, oregano and torn basil leaves.
Check out more delicious recipes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page