Roasted Chicken with Summer Fruit Salad
- 1 1/2 cups roasted chicken, spatchcocked and shredded
- 4 cups mixed greens (mix of arugula, kale, spinach)
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- 1 cup strawberries, quartered
- 1/4 cup vegan parmesan cheese, crumbled
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cloves garlic grated
- 1 lemon zested
- 5 sprigs thyme, picked
- olive oil
- 1 (3 ½ pound) whole chicken
- Salt & Freshly ground black pepper
- Olive oil
- 3 tbs white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- ½ tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Mix all together
Directions for Herb Paste
Mix the garlic, zest, thyme in a bowl with your fingers. Pour just enough oil in to make a paste, adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Set aside for the flavors to combine.
Directions for Chicken
1. Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Set a wire rack inside a rimmed baking sheet.
2. Bring the chicken out of the fridge 30 minutes before cooking. Lay the chicken on a clean, stabilized cutting board, breast side down.
3. Using very sharp kitchen scissors, cut along the side of the spine, from the tail end to the
neck. Repeat on other side.
4. Using a very sharp knife, score vertically down the breastbone, then flip the bird over,
breast side up. Press down firmly with the palm of your hand until you hear a “pop” and the
chicken is lying flat. Tuck the wings under the breast.
5. Use your fingers to carefully loosen the skin away from the meat. Spread the herb paste
under the skin, covering the breast and thigh meat.
6. Season both sides of the chicken generously with salt and pepper. Set the chicken, breast
side up, on the prepared baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and rub to evenly coat the skin.
Roast for 40-45 minutes, or until the thigh juices run clear when pierced with a knife. Transfer
the baking sheet to a cooling rack and allow to rest for 10 minutes prior to carving.
Check out more delicious recipes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page