Red Velvet Cheesecake
- 1-1/2 cups oreo cookie crumbs
- ¼ cup melted butter
- 1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
- 3 (8-oz) packages cream cheese, softened to room temp.
- 1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 3 Tablespoons unsweetened chocolate
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup whole buttermilk
- 2-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- 2 oz natural plant based red food coloring
- 3-oz cream cheese, softened (for topping)
- ¼ cup butter, softened (for topping)
- 2 cups powdered sugar (for topping)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (for topping)
- Garnish: fresh mint sprigs, cranberries
Directions for the Crust:
- Mix oreo cookies (crumbled), sugar and melted butter together and press into a 9-inch springform pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 5 minutes
Directions for the filling:
- Use an electric mixer or stand mixer: beat together, cream cheese and sugar on medium with for 1 minute.
- Then add eggs one at a time mixing completely, and cocoa, sour cream, buttermilk, vanilla extract, vinegar, plant based food dye
- Mix on low speed unitl fully combined.
- Pour onto prepared crust
- Bake at 325° for 10 minutes;
- Reduce heat to 300 and bake for 1 hour or until center is firm
- Remove cheesecake from oven;
- Cool in pan on wire rack 60 minutes
- Loosen edges from pan by inserting knife around edge.
- Cover and chill 8 hours
Directions for the Topping:
- Beat 3 oz. Cream cheese and ¼ cup softened butter on medium speed until smooth
- Sprinkle in powdered sugar, and vanilla, and beat until smooth
- Spread over top of cooled cheesecake
- Remove sides of springform pan
Get more great recipes and crafts by visiting us on Pinterest at pinterest.com/homeandfamilytv and follow "Home & Family" on Twitter @homeandfamilytv and Facebook. Plus, check out our YouTube channel for backstage videos.