Raspberry Lemon Cake
- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup grated lemon zest (6 to 8 large lemons)
- 1 T Lime Zest
- 3 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 t almond extract
1. Butter and flour 2- 8x2 round cake pans or butter and line with parchment circles.
2. Cream the butter and 2 cups granulated sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
3. With the mixer on medium speed, add the eggs, 1 at a time, and the lemon and lime zest.
4. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.
5. In another bowl, combine 1/4 cup lemon juice, the buttermilk, almond extract, and vanilla.
6. Add the flour and buttermilk mixtures alternately to the batter, beginning and ending with the flour.
7. Divide the batter evenly between the pans, smooth the tops, and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until a cake tester comes out clean.
8. Cool cakes on a rack.
9. Once cool, turn out onto a cake stand or plate and frost with your favorite glaze or cream cheese frosting, then layer second cake on top and finish frosting.
10. Decorate with raspberries and candied lemon rounds.
*Tip: if you're feeling ambitious, layer the middle with lemon curd (available premade too!)
Check out more delicious recipes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page