Pork and Beef Ragu
- 1lbs Beef brisket
- 1lbs Pork shoulder
- 1lbs Pork belly
- 1 Tbs Ground black pepper
- 2 Tbs Kosher salt
- 1 Cup Evoo
- 1 Head peeled Garlic
- 5 Bay leaves
- 1 Can Canned tomoatoes
- 1 Fine diced onion
- 4 Cups Water
- Your favorite dried pasta
1) On the stovetop, in the dutch oven, sear all meat in 4 Tbs olive oil.
2) Remove meat and sweat onion in olive oil and rendered meat fat.
3) Add salt, pepper, garlic, canned tomatoes and bay leaves.
4) Add meat back to braising dish. Make sure approximately 1/4 of the meat is above the liquid.
5) Add some water if you need to bring up the height of the liquid.
6) Bring to a simmer, cover and put dutch oven into a 300 degree oven for 2 hours. The ragu will now braise in the oven.
7) Add remaining water and remaining olive oil. Continue braising for 3 hours.
8) Prepare pasta according to directions on package. I recommend keeping the pasta al dente.
9) Remove about ½ of the meat from the braising dish. It should be fork tender at this point and just break away. Set meat aside.
10) Use a wooden spoon to break up the remaining meat into the tomato braising liquid. Stir the mixture until a desired consistency is reached. At this point you can season to taste with any additional salt and pepper needed.
11) Add the cooked pasta to the braising dish and toss with ragu. If the dish is too small, mix pasta and sauce in a separate bowl.
12) Plate the sauced pasta on a serving platter. Garnish with the additional meat you set aside, grated pecorino romano, torn basil, good EVOO and fresh cracked black pepper.
Check out more delicious recipes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page