Patriotic Ice Cream Sandwiches, with Red Velvet Shortbread Stars & Cheesecake Ice Cream
- 1 Cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 Cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 Cup all-purpose flour
- 4 Tablespoon cocoa powder
- 2 Tablespoon (1 oz.) red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Red sugar, to sprinkle on top
- 8 oz. Cream cheese
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 Cup sour cream
- 1/2 Cup half-and-half
- 2/3 Cup sugar
- Pinch of salt
Yield: 12 ice cream sandwiches
Directions for the Red Velvet Shortbread stars:
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat butter and sugar until the mixture is a bit fluffy. Add in the salt and flour and mix until just incorporated.
- Then add the cocoa powder and mix again. Carefully add the food coloring and vanilla, stirring until red coloring is evenly distributed.
- Divide dough into 2 equal portions and pat each into a 4" round disc. Wrap each disc in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Heat oven to 350°. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Lightly flour your work surface and rolling pin. Remove one dough disc from the refrigerator and roll to about 1/4'' thick. If the dough is sticky, just pick it up and pat into a round, flour your surface again, and roll out the dough again. I found that this second rolling did the trick every time.
- With a small star shaped cookie cutter (mine measured 2-1/4'' across), cut out star shapes and place them on your parchment lined cookie sheet. Sprinkle with red sugar.
- Bake for 11 to 13 minutes, taking care to not let the cookies brown. Let cookies rest on cookie sheet a couple minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
For the Cheesecake ice cream:
- Cut cream cheese into small pieces and place into a blender or food processor. Add the lemon zest, sour cream, half-and-half, sugar, and salt. Puree until very smooth. No chunks!
- Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator for 1 hour, then freeze it in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Line a 9'' square pan with parchment paper and then spread the ice cream into the prepared pan, smoothing it out as much as possible.
- Freeze ice cream in the pan until it is completely frozen. This will take at least 2 hours.
- Cut the ice cream around the edge of the pan and then gently remove the frozen slab of ice cream using the parchment paper overhang.
- Dip the same star cookie cutter you used for the ice cream into a shallow bowl of hot water and start cutting out ice cream stars, dipping the cutter into the hot water in between each cut.
- Turn a star cookie upside down and place an ice cream star on top of the cookie. Top with another star cookie (right side up) and gently press together to make a sandwich.
- Repeat until all ice cream stars are used. You will have more star cookies than you need.
- Immediately place the ice cream sandwiches in the freezer to freeze thoroughly. Keep frozen until ready to serve.
Recipe by afarmgirlsdabbles.com Get more great recipes and crafts by visiting us on Pinterest at pinterest.com/homeandfamilytv and follow "Home & Family" on Twitter @homeandfamilytv and Facebook. Plus, check out our YouTube channel for backstage videos.