Directions for Brine
1. Add all ingredients into a pot and bring to a boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, strain and cool in an ice bath. Place the pork rack in the brine for 2-5hr. Remove from the brine and dry with paper towels in preparation for the rub.
Directions for the Rub
1. Make the rub by combining the olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, sage, rosemary, thyme, Parmesan and orange zest in a small bowl. Set aside.
2. Position the rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat to 450°F. Season the cavity of the pork with salt and pepper and stuff with the halved garlic, sprigs of rosemary and thyme and the orange. Shield the ends of the ribs with small pieces of aluminum foil to prevent burning.
3. Place the pork on a rack in a roasting pan and, using your hands, coat all the outer surfaces of the meat with the prepared rub
4. Roast for 15 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 325°F. Continue roasting until a thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the meat registers 140°F. Total cooking time should be around 1-3/4 to 2 hours for an 8 to 9-pound roast.
5. Tent loosely with foil and allow the roast to rest for 20 minutes, then carve by slicing between the rib bones to separate into individual chops.