PALETA Wild Rice Fruit ‘n Nut Stuffing
- 1/2 cup wild rice
- 1 cup long grain brown rice
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 2 cups sliced crimini mushrooms
- 1 medium apple, diced
- 4 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup cranberries
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 tablespoons fennel seeds
- 1/2 cup turkey, chicken or vegetable broth
- salt and black pepper to taste
10 servings | 1/2 cup each | 90 kcal serving
1. Bring 3-1/2 cups of lightly salted water to a boil. While water is coming to a boil, rinse the wild rice under running water in a strainer. When water is boiling add both wild and brown rice, cover, turn heat to low and cook for about 45 minutes, until tender. Do not overcook. You will most likely have excess water when rice is cooked properly. Put cooked rice in a strainer and drain out excess water. Set aside in a large enough bowl to mix everything together.
2. Heat 1 TBS of your broth and diced onion in a large stainless steel skillet over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and celery and continue to sauté for another 2-3 minutes. 3. Mix all the stuffing ingredients together in bowl and season with salt and pepper.
Helpful Hints: A beautiful way to display the rice stuffing is by coring and roasting a small pumpkin and serving the rice in the pumpkin.
We do not like to stuff the turkey before cooking because it absorbs all the precious juices from the bird, which we prefer to use for stock and gravy.