PALETA Butternut Squash Apple Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt & pinch of white ground pepper
- 1/2 large red onion or 4 whole shallots, peeled & chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 sprigs of thyme, leaves removed
- 4 1/4 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 clove of garlic, peeled & left whole
- 1 Gala apple, peeled, cored, diced
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 4 1/4 cups (or more) vegetable broth
- Optional: Chopped fresh chives or toasted pepitas for garnish
8 servings | 1/4 cup each | 30 kcal serving
1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
2. Toss ALL ingredients together (except for Cider & Broth). Place in a baking dish or on a sheet pan and roast uncovered until fork tender. 3. When done, transfer to a blender and add the broth and apple cider. Blend until very smooth and your desired thickness. 4. For large quantities, work in batches, returning the blended soup to a hot saucepan to keep warm. 5. Bring soup to simmer, thinning with more broth if desired. Ladle soup into bowls. Garnish with pepitas, chives or croutons. Serve warm.
Serve the soup as an appetizer in mini-bowls or demitasse cups with toasted pepitas or croutons for an elegant twist on these classic flavors. Make ahead and reheat before serving; the flavors will be even more prominent.