- 1 3/4 cup (5.7 OZ) All purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (2.2ounces) natural cocoa powder Not Dutch-processed
- 1-1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-3/4 cups (11.7) ounces granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup safflower oil or vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- 9 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1-1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
Directions for the cake:
- Place rack in the center of the oven Pre-heat oven to 325 F
- Cut parchment paper to fit the bottom of 9x 3 inch round cake pan.
- Grease the bottom and the sides of a 9 x 3 inch round cake pan. Dust the pan with flour and set aside.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into the bowl of an electric mixer.
- Using the paddle attachment, add the sugar and mix at low speed until blended.
- Add the oil and mix for a few seconds, until the dry ingredients look crumbly.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs until blended. Whisk in the milk and vanilla extract until blended.
- With the mixer on low speed add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and mix until blended, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Gradually add the boiling water and mix just until blended and smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake the cake for 45 to 50 minutes. Insert a toothpick into the center of the cake if it comes out clean it’s ready to take our of the oven and cool in the pan on a wire reach for 20 minutes
- Invert the cake onto the wire rack and cook completely before you pour on the glaze.
- Can be stored at room temperature, wrapped in foil for up to 4 days
Directions for the glaze:
- Place the chocolate in the bowl of a food processor and process just until finely ground.
- In a small saucepan, bring the cream to a boil. Remove from the heat and add the chocolate to the pan.
- Stir until the chocolate is completely melted and the glaze is smooth.
- Stir in the vanilla extract. Transfer the glaze to a small bowl. Cover the surface of the glaze with a piece of plastic wrap and let cool for about 10 minutes before using.
- Can be stored in an airtight container the the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. rewarm gently in a double boiler before using.
- Pour glaze over completely cooled cake
- Add chocolate OREO’s on the sides and top of cake.
Get more great recipes and crafts by visiting us on Pinterest at pinterest.com/homeandfamilytv and follow "Home & Family" on Twitter @homeandfamilytv and Facebook. Plus, check out our YouTube channel for backstage videos.