Naomi Judd’s Sweet Potato Casserole
- 3 cups mashed sweet potatoes (about 2 pounds of sweet potatoes)
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ cup milk
- ½ stick or ¼ cup butter, melted
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup chopped walnuts, pecans, or other nuts
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup butter
"My mama was a cook on a riverboat in Mississippi. My mom knows her way around the kitchen. First of all, her grandmother, my great-grandmother, owned a little restaurant in our town. We lived in a one Dairy Queen kinda town, Ashland, Kentucky. The Judd family traditional holiday dinner is all made from scratch, and I think if I didn't make my Spinach and Sweet Potato Casserole, Wynonna and Ashley would think they were orphans. They’d walk into the woods and never be heard from again… This is our traditional recipe" - Naomi
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a shallow 2-quart casserole.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the potatoes, granulated sugar, eggs, milk, butter, salt, and vanilla and scrape the mixture into the prepared casserole.
- Making the topping: In a small bowl, stir together the brown sugar, nuts, and flour. Sprinkle over the top of the casserole. Dot with the butter. Place the casserole on a baking sheet
Make sure you catch Naomi in the Hallmark Channel Original Movie, "