48 mussels cleaned
1/4 cup diced white onion 4 gloves minced garlic 12 fennel seeds 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flake 1/2 teaspoon black pepper A pinch of salt 1/2 cup dry white wine A few branches from a pine Christmas tree or wreath 1/4 cup butter
1. In a pan, saute the garlic, onion, chili & fennel
2. Add the wine and cover.
3. When the mussels open, throw in the pine branch and swirl in the butter.
4. Serve with crunchy garlic bread or top with breadcrumbs.
5. Optional: serve atop linguine
(in grams - with rough translation in parenthesis)
2000g Semolina (4 and a 1/4 pound) 300g Eggs (about 5 eggs) 2Tbsp Liquid Smoke 13g Salt (1 T + 1/2 t) 13g Baking Powder (1 T + 1/2 t) 475g Clam Juice (2 cups)
1. Mix dry ingredients together in extruder.
2. Slowly incorporate 75 percent eggs, liquid smoke and clam juice, mix well.
3. Add remaining liquid as needed.
4. Extrude pasta with linguine die.
Recipe yields about 7 pounds of pasta *make a batch, roll out half and freeze the other half for later Get more information on Chef Richard Blais here: