Yield 6-8 servings
Directions:1. Whisk together eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon and vanilla until blended.
2. Pour into a large baking pan and soak bread slices in 1 layer, turning once, 8 minutes.
3. Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons butter in a 12-inch heavy skillet or griddle over moderately high heat until foam subsides.
4. Transfer 4 soaked bread slices to skillet with a slotted spatula and cook until golden brown, about 1 minute on each side.
5. Cook remaining bread in 2 batches, adding more butter as needed.
6. Serve French toast with maple syrup.
7. Garnish French toast with confectioners sugar.