Marsala Soaked Stuffed Mushrooms
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup soy sauce (use low-sodium)
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 cup marsala
- 4 springs thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 28 mushrooms (28 give or take, depends upon the size) *make sure you reserve the mushroom stems
- 2 shallots chopped
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 6 - Tbsp Ex Virgin olive oil
- 1 Med. yellow onion, sliced thin
- 5- Garlic cloves ,sliced thin
- 1- celery stalk thin sliced
- 1- small carrot grated
- 1- Large can crushed tomatoes (we use Pastene 28 oz)
- 1- cup chicken stock
- 2- cups dry white wine
- 4-6 bay leaves
- 3- dozen small vongole clams ( Manila clams)
DIrections for Mushroom Marinade
1) In a bowl, whisk together the first 8 ingredients. Remove the stems from the mushrooms and reserve. Place the mushrooms gills side up in a glass baking dish. Pour the marinade over the mushrooms and let them sit for at least four hours.
Directions for for Filling
1) In a sauté pan add 1 Tablespoon of olive oil on medium heat.
2) Chop the mushroom stems and add them to the sauté pan. Sauté until they start to brown about 3-4 minutes.
3) Add in the chopped garlic and sauté for another minute more. Then add in the shallots, stirring often. After another 3 minutes turn off the heat. Transfer to a bowl and let cool.
4) Add the Parmesan, bread crumbs, parsley, 2 Tablespoons of olive oil, salt, and pepper to taste. Blend the ingredients together.
5) Spoon the filling into the mushroom cavities. Arrange on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle some of the marinade over the mushrooms.
6) Bake for 15 minutes, in a 400 degree oven, until they begin to soften. Then pull the mushrooms out and sprinkle some more Parmesan cheese on top. I have even used smoked gouda and they turned out well! Then put them back in the oven for another 15 minutes or until you see the cheese start to get brown.
Directions for Zuppa Di Clams
1) Heat oil in large sauce pan over medium hea
2) Sauté garlic for two minutes then add in onion, celery and red pepper flakes. Sauté until translucent in color, about 8-10 minutes.
3) Add tomatoes, oregano, carrots, sauté 4- min.
4) Then add the chicken stock and white wine bring to a boil
5) Add clams, season with salt and pepper to taste, as well as the bay leaves.
6) Add more red pepper if you like a little more heat
7) Simmer together until the clams begin to open, about 5-6 minutes.
8) Spoon over linguine or serve with crusty bread!
Check out more delicious recipes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page