TIPS: For a pie dough recipe that baked up tender and flaky and rolled out easily every time, we found a magic ingredient: vodkaThe alcohol burns off, leaving a tender, flaky crust. The alcohol also does not add to gluten formation, another factor in the incredible flakiness of this crust. Using vodka, which is just 60 percent water, gave us an easy-to-roll crust recipe with less gluten and no alcohol flavor, since the alcohol vaporizes in the oven.
Instructions1.Process 1 ½ cups flour, salt, and sugar in food processor until combined, about 2 one-second pulses. Add butter and shortening and process until homogenous dough just starts to collect in uneven clumps, about 15 seconds (dough will resemble cottage cheese curds and there should be no uncoated flour). Scrape bowl with rubber spatula and redistribute dough evenly around processor blade. Add remaining cup flour and pulse until mixture is evenly distributed around bowl and mass of dough has been broken up, 4 to 6 quick pulses. Empty mixture into medium bowl. 2. Sprinkle vodka and water over mixture. With rubber spatula, use folding motion to mix, pressing down on dough until dough is slightly tacky and sticks together. Divide dough into two even balls and flatten each into 4-inch disk. Wrap each in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 45 minutes or up to 2 days.
3. Bake, place a baking sheet on the rack in the middle of the oven Preheat the oven to 400 F.
4. Make a egg wash,1 small egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon of water Divide the crust in half. Wrap the second half in plastic wrap and it put back into the refrigerator while you work with the first piece of dough.
5. Roll out the dough to fit the pie pan and pour in the apple filling.
6. Remove the pie crust from the refrigerator and roll in out to make the strips for your lattice. Using a pastry brush the top of the dough with the egg wash.
6. Bake for 15 minutes.
7. Lower the temperature to 350 and bake for 30 to 40 minutes until the crust is nice and golden.
You can purchase Red Hills Fruit Company pie fillings and any of Cristina’s other favorite products on opensky.com/cristinaferrare.
We’re giving away a 4 pack of Red Hills Fruit Company pie filling right now! All you have to do is follow us on Twitter @HallmarkChannel and Re-Tweet our EXACT HomeandFamily tweet that has the hashtag #Piefilling in it! Just Re-tweet (RT) that EXACT tweet and we'll choose a random winner from all the re-tweets!"