Lemon Coconut Haystacks
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- ½ cup almond flour
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil (if solid, microwaved until melted)
- Zest and juice of ½ lemon
- 1 to 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
Makes 15 cookies
Preparation time: 10 minutes (plus 15 minutes to chill)
Cooking Time: None
Just one of these little raw gems satisfies a sweet craving without giving me a sugar rush – and that inevitable crash. In fact, you can even expect an energy boost from the coconut oil and almond flour. After the rounds are formed, and as the coconut oil firms up (the fridge speeds this up), they set into cookies, just like magic.
- Place the coconut in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until semi-fine. Transfer ¼ cup of the pulverized coconut to a small plate and set aside.
- To the coconut in the food processor add the almond flour, coconut oil, lemon zest and juice, 1 tablespoon of the maple syrup, the vanilla, and salt, and process until well combined. Taste and pulse in the extra teaspoon of maple syrup, if needed.
- Transfer the mixture to a cutting board and shape it into a 7-inch-long and 1 ½-inch-wide log. Divide the log into 12 equal pieces, press them into cookie-shaped rounds, and press them into the reserved pulverized coconut.
- Set the cookies on a large plate, loosely covered with plastic wrap, and chill for 15 minutes before serving.
Reprinted from Supermarket Healthy: Recipes and Know-How for Eating Well Without Spending a Lot. Copyright © 2014 by Melissa d’Arabian. Photographs © 2014 by Tina Rupp. Published by Clarkson Potter, an imprint of Random House LLC.
For more information on Melissa, go to: www.melissadarabian.net
Melissa’s new book, “Supermarket Healthy,” is available nationwide, and at melissadarabian.net