Directions for Lasagna Bolognese
1. Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
2. Add the pancetta and cook, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon for 5 minutes (or until
some of the fat renders)
3. Add the onion, celery, and carrot and cook for another 6-7 minutes, until the vegetables are
softened and fragrant
4. Add the garlic, oregano, and basil and stir to combine
5. Add the ground meats and cook, stirring frequently, until deep brown in color
6. Add the wine, reduce the heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the wine
has reduced by half, about 5 minutes
7. Stir in the milk, crushed tomatoes, and tomato sauce. Bring to a simmer over medium-high
heat and then reduce to a simmer, cooking uncovered for about 1 hour, until the sauce
resembles a thick, meaty stew
8. Season with salt and pepper
9. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
10. Pour a thin layer of the meat sauce over a 9 by 13 inch baking dish
11. Top with 6 of the pasta sheets and another thin layer of meat sauce
12. Spoon on half of the ricotta for the next layer, followed by a layer of half of the mozzarella
and half of the Parmesan.
13. Slather the top with the basil vinaigrette.
14. Add a final layer of pasta and the remaining meat sauce
15. Finish with the remaining ricotta, mozzarella, and Parmesan cheeses
16. Bake for 45-50 minutes, until the cheese is golden brown and bubbly.
17. Remove from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes before serving
Directions for Vinaigrette
1. In a high-powered blender, combine the shallot, basil, garlic, red pepper flakes, oil, vinegar, and salt and blend for 1-2 minutes until very smooth
2. Add the salt and season with pepper
3. The dressing will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days